You will see lots of wildlife around – deer, hares, pheasants, family of moles beside the hut (digging up the place!). There are field voles in the rushes in the field and most days a Red Kite flies over (eyeing the hens I am sure), buzzards galore and in the summer the Ospreys return and takes a turn past.
In the evenings you will hear and sometimes see owls, there are both Barn and Tawny Owls. Spring Summer and Autumn the little Pipistrelle bats are also swooping around from their roosts in the garage and kennels.
In the Spring the Swallows and House Martins arrive back and take up residence in their family nests around the cottage, kennels and garage. They are amazing to watch flying and swooping. There are stoats and weasels and pine martins and cute little red squirrels in the Pineatum (the woods across from the hut – gate to the left when you walk down towards the stables – really nice walk) and in February and March when the snowdrops and bluebells are out, it is magical.
Things to do , places to see
• What’s on in the Trossachs: http://www.lochlomond-trossachs.org/
• What’s on in Stirling: http://www.whatsonstirling.co.uk/
• The Lake of Menteith – great spot for wetland birds and ospreys https://www.lochlomond-trossachs.org/things-to-see/lochs-in-the-national-park/lake-of-menteith/
• Inchmahome Island and Priory – take a ferry trip on the Lake of Menteith to the island – open April to October, half hour walk from hut down to the Lake https://www.historicenvironment.scot/visit-a-place/places/inchmahome-priory/
• Loch Katrine – steam boat trips, cycling, walking. https://www.lochkatrine.com/
• Stronachlachar – 30 mins really scenic drive which runs alongside Loch Ard, Loch Chon and Loch Arklet, (windy single track) and nice tearoom on the edge of Loch Katrine (the other end) https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g551948-d2329721-Reviews-The_Pier_Tea_Room-Stronachlachar_Loch_Lomond_and_The_Trossachs_National_Park_Scot.html
• Inversnaid – closest access to Loch Lomond – scenic drive to the end of the road and the Inversnaid Hotel. https://www.inversnaidhotel.com/explore
• Hill – Ben A’an – lovely little hill – superb views for minimum effort and just half hour drive from the hut over the Dukes Pass at Aberfoyle, and just passed Loch Katrine https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/lochlomond/ben-aan.shtml
• Hill – Ben Lomond – 40 minute drive to east side of Loch Lomond at Rowardennan – outstanding views and a well trodden path up. https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/lochlomond/ben-lomond.shtml
• Hill – Ben Ledi – 20 minute drive and the highest mountain in the main Trossachs area with a well maintained path. https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/lochlomond/ben-ledi.shtml
• One of our favourite glen walks – start in Brig O Turk (30 mins away) or Balquhidder https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/lochlomond/balquhidder-turk.shtml
• David Marshall Lodge, Aberfoyle http://www.trossachs.co.uk/david-marshall.php
• Argaty Red Kites, Doune (25 mins) Great raptor experience http://argatyredkites.co.uk/index.php
• Segway trips and horse trekking, Port of Menteith (7 mins) http://www.castlerednocktrekking.com/
• McLaren Sports Centre, Callander (20 mins) – pool, climbing wall, classes etc http://www.mclarenleisure.co.uk/
• Go Ape, Aberfoyle (at David Marshall Lodge) (15 mins) https://goape.co.uk/days-out/scotland
• Gartur Stitch Farm (amazing courses and farm events) (2.5 miles walk from the hut) https://garturstitchfarm.com/
• Green Pea Studio (fabulous courses and lovely things to buy at their shop (Twine) at the Woodhouse) and a 20 minute walk from the hut http://www.greenpeastudio.com/
• Bike Hire – Aberfoyle Bikes – they will deliver to the hut and organise guided bike trips. Route suggestions and café and repairs https://www.aberfoylebikehire.co.uk/
• Trossachs forest drive and other Trossachs walks/cycles/things to do https://www.lochlomond-trossachs.org/things-to-see/lochs-in-the-national-park/three-lochs-forest-drive/
• Finnich Glen – Outlander location (20 minutes drive) https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g186534-d12849378-Reviews-Finnich_Glen-Glasgow_Scotland.html and Doune Castle (25 minutes) https://www.visitscotland.com/info/see-do/doune-castle-p254201
• The Green Gallery, Buchlyvie – nice artwork https://www.greengallery.com/
• Callander – touristy village about 20 minutes drive. https://www.visitscotland.com/info/towns-villages/callander-p235441
• Drive to Balquhidder – lovely 40 minute drive through Callander, Strathyre alongside Loch Venacher. Mhor84 Motel is a wonderful stop for brunch etc, really great food, bit funky, (http://mhor84.net/) before driving on up Balquhidder Glen (Rob Roy’s grave at the Church) and further on up to Monachle Mhor http://monachylemhor.net/ really nice hotel and open for coffees, lunch, dinner right at the end of the single track road at the end of the glen.
• Cycle/walk the Sustrans cycle way from Callander to Balquhidder. Great path and refreshment stops in Callander, Balquhidder and half way at Strathyre. You can go on further to Killin walking the old railway line – fab. https://www.destinationcallander.co.uk/en/cycling/
• Wallace Monument – lots of stairs, fab views and coffee shop. https://www.nationalwallacemonument.com/
• Stirling Castle https://www.stirlingcastle.scot/
• Lake of Menteith Fishery – take a boat out and go fishing https://www.menteith-fisheries.co.uk/
• Blair Drummond Safari Park – 20 minutes and a fun experience – even for adults! https://www.blairdrummond.com/
Pubs, Restaurants, Bars, Tearooms, Cafes, Delis & Grocers
• The Lake Hotel – closest hotel within walking distance (1.5 miles) for lunches and dinner (in winter a day time visit is best for views over the Lake) https://www.lake-hotel.com/
• The Woodhouse about 10 minutes away towards Kippen is one of our favourite places for brunch, breakfast, lunch, coffees etc. and great deli and butchers and is very popular with everyone! https://www.facebook.com/TheWoodhouseKippen/
• The Smiddy is also good for breakfast (till 11.30am), lunch, coffees etc and also has an excellent deli and butchers and large shop, about 20 minutes away https://www.blairdrummondsmiddy.co.uk/cafe
• The Lion & Unicorn, Thornhill – 20 minutes – warmest welcome and hearty delicious food (only need to book weekends in Summer) http://www.lion-unicorn.co.uk/
• The Old Mill, Killearn – country pub and restaurant about 20 minutes away – really delicious food (fancier than L&U), friendly staff and great choice of ales and gins (possibly need to book at weekends) http://www.theoldmillkillearn.co.uk/
• The Fintry Inn – country pub about 15 minutes away – nice drive – often has live traditional music Sunday afternoons to go with your Sunday lunch http://thefintryinn.co.uk/
• Kippen Inn, Kippen (10 minutes) –breakfasts, lunches and dinners and great beer garden http://www.theinnatkippen.co.uk/
• The Cross Keys, Kippen – about 10 minutes away – cosy traditional pub with delicious meals – recommended. http://kippencrosskeys.com/
• The Pier Tearoom, Stronachlachar (30 mins) https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g551948-d2329721-Reviews-The_Pier_Tea_Room-Stronachlachar_Loch_Lomond_and_The_Trossachs_National_Park_Scot.html
• Mhor Bakery on Callander main street (about 18 minutes) has delicious food and small tearoom http://mhorbread.net/tea-room/ Their jap cakes are delicious. Lots of shops and cafes, bars in Callander.
• Mhor84 Motel, Balquhidder (40 minute drive) is a wonderful stop for brunch etc, really great food, bit funky. Same people who own Delzique in Glasgow’s west end (http://mhor84.net/)
• Monachle Mhor, Balquhidder Glen http://monachylemhor.net/ really nice and fairly expensive hotel and open for coffees (reasonable price!), lunch, dinner right at the end of the single track road at the end of the glen.